ORLANDO – April 25 2016 –Gogo Inc. (NASDAQ: GOGO), the leading provider of in-flight connectivity and wireless in-flight entertainment solutions to the global aero market, last week successfully completed the initial phase of flight testing for its Gogo Biz 4G service, marking a significant milestone in the company’s development of a new generation of connectivity and enhanced capabilities for business aviation.
“Gogo Biz 4G will deliver a true 4G in-flight experience on a robust, reliable network that business aircraft operators can count on,” said John Wade, Gogo Business Aviation’s executive vice president and general manager. “Flight-test performance has exceeded our expectations to date. Market interest is high and we remain on track for first shipments in early 2017.”
During a recent four-hour flight-test sortie aboard the company’s Challenger 600 testbed, as many as 10 streaming video and five streaming audio sessions were conducted simultaneously on a variety of devices – including laptops, tablets and phones. Video of the test flight is available showing highlights: http://gogo.to/4Gflighttest
Gogo, known for its rigorous testing protocols, designed the initial phase of testing to put Gogo Biz 4G through its paces in the harshest real-world conditions including testing air and ground congestion. Testing was conducted at full range from the respective ground sites – up to 150 miles – at typical business aircraft cruise altitudes (30,000-34,000 feet) in a live commercial environment with a plethora of other connected airline and business aircraft traffic in the vicinity. Specifically, flight profiles covered both rural and congested urban areas – including the departure and arrival corridors for Chicago O’Hare, the nation’s second-busiest airport and the fifth busiest in the world. Flight testing was conducted using fully certified hardware on Gogo’s advanced air-to-ground network.
Created specifically for the business aviation market, Gogo Biz 4G is a specially designed application of Gogo’s latest air-to-ground technology that leverages its existing air-to-ground network and technology that has already flown hundreds of thousands of hours aboard thousands of business and commercial aircraft. The Gogo Biz 4G equipment package will incorporate dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi service and a host of other features – all from a single, lightweight box.
New Gogo Biz 4G Capabilities
Network speed and performance is important, but it’s only the beginning of the Gogo Biz 4G solution which now includes the following additional capabilities:
Gogo Biz 4G Features
- Integrated Gogo Vision service. Provides a complete, turn-key in-flight entertainment system with the latest Hollywood movies, TV, flight tracker, destination weather, etc.
- Integrated Gogo Text & Talk service. Allows passengers to call and text with personal smartphones and passengers’ own mobile numbers.
- Smart cabin capabilities. Provides rich capabilities such as multi-network management, data compression, connectivity on the ground in more than 120 countries via integrated 4G terrestrial
- Customer loyalty program. Special hardware and airtime incentive programs with pre-installation provision kits for existing Gogo Biz customers to upgrade to Gogo Biz 4G in early 2017.
- Gogo Biz 4G upgrade program. Allows business aircraft operators to install a complete Gogo Biz connectivity package today with seamless upgrades to Gogo Biz 4G in early 2017.
- Reliable 4G performance on a proven network in the continental U.S., and large portions of Alaska and Canada
- Streaming video and audio from services like Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, and Spotify
- Face-to-face conversations with your favorite applications
- E-mail with attachments.
- Web browsing
- Advanced air-to-ground technology operating on licensed spectrum
- VPN support
From an installed customer base of more than 9,000 aircraft worldwide, Gogo has done more than 100 million in-flight wireless sessions across business and commercial aviation. With more than $1 billion of in-flight technology investment to date, Gogo’s track record of delivering high-performance in-flight connectivity solutions is unmatched across business and commercial aviation.
The company’s existing range of Gogo Biz solutions will remain available after Gogo Biz 4G shipments begin.
With more than two decades of experience, Gogo is the leader in in-flight connectivity and wireless entertainment services for commercial and business fleets around the world. Gogo connects aircraft, providing its aviation partners with the world's most powerful network and platform to help optimize their operations. Gogo's superior technologies, best-in-class service, and global reach help planes fly smarter, our aviation partners perform better, and their passengers travel happier.
Today, Gogo has partnerships with 14 commercial airlines and is installed on more than 2,500 commercial aircraft. Nearly 7,000 business aircraft are also flying with its solutions, including the world's largest fractional ownership fleets. Gogo also is a factory option at every major business aircraft manufacturer. Gogo has more than 1,000 employees and is headquartered in Chicago, IL, with additional facilities in Broomfield, CO, and various locations overseas. www.gogoair.com and business.gogoair.com
Media Relations Contact:
Director, Public Relations & Communications
Investor Relations Contact:
Vice President, Investor Relations